The week was another 3 days again working. Another week working on 541 tender as well as 4253, getting things ready to keep moving forward.Most of the tender work was preparation for welding by cleaning of the surfaces that are to be welded .The inside of all 4 side sheets had lots of prep work done as they will have a large angle and a flat strip welded to them full length. The coal floor and tank top plates will be attached to these with the cross-support bars fitted underneath . We had to make a new bar that holds the door shut plate on the tender front as the old one was too far gone to reuse .The ball float was finally put back together just a watertight test to do .Friday we completed the prep of the side plates after having to move and turn one round to grind the correct side .We trial fitted the front grab handles and drilled the fixing holes and reamered the plate holes on the door shut plates .The second meeting of the drawing club took place, the new order is now taking shape so we will know where it is saving hours searching .The brake cylinder returned from it’s world tour and we can now hopefully get it fitted and get everything put back on the loco before the boiler arrives .Talking of boilers, the official hydraulic test is now booked with the boiler inspector (see the pics of the progress on the tubes from HBSS)Sunday a day of setting out getting all the positions correct for the next phase of assembly of 541 tender .Making temporary holding brackets for holding up steel while the side sheet in not in place .The first of the cross supports were drilled and put together and trial fitted .The worlds most travelled brake cylinder had the holding band tightened up with a new holding bolt fitted .We then reassembled it and we are ready to fit on Tuesday back in the loco the if all is ok we will put the bunker back on as well .Thanks to everyone who helped to keep the job moving this week . ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
This week we continued the work on both projects with the customary 3 days.Tuesday we continued the work on 541 tender with deburring the drilled holes in the cab back sheet, moving the back coal space sheet to do the weld prep .The countersinking of the platework started on the cab side panels .The ball float repair work for the water gauge continued as well.The compilation of the welding of well section of the tender for 541 was done as well.All the crap was moved from the front of the loco shed and the ground prepared .The team then moved the water tanks from the yank tank to the other end of the shed to give more room in the yard for working on bits .Other bits done by the team assisting with the painting of the brake gear for the Terrier 2678 to speed up its reassembly .Friday we stripped the old paint off the light marker discs from the class 20 .The countersinking of the platework was completed with a sharp new countersinking bit made the job much easer .We got some of the copper pipes for the smokebox, superheater header to regulator (when we got the loco these were still in place not been nicked ) out of storage ,these were inspected and cleaned along with other bit of bent pipework to reuse .We moved more platework for 541 tender to nearer to the booth .The first half of the ball float was filled with water and tested after its repair .The boiler is getting closer to completion at HBSS (see the pics).Sunday the team started to attach the front sides of 541 tender to the bottom section.Lots of very small adjustments of the side plates were needed to get the alignment correct . We have now got both sides welded in place, just the outside weld needed to complete this phase. As normal we riveted on the warmest day of the year we riveted the bracket on the cab front sheet with all the rivet heads showing the cab.The brackets that hold the operating rods for the water valves were welded in place as well.Thanks to one and all who helped this week . ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook

Products